ZAGREB, August 6, 2016 (Hina / Hoo) - Josip Pavić (34), captain of the Croatian Olympic Water Polo Team Rio 2016 is the seventh athlete and the third water polo player, after Perica Bukić (Atlanta 1996) and Dubravko Šimenc (Athens 2004), who carried the Croatian flag at the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.
This honor was awarded to two handball players Ivano Balić (Beijing 2008) and Venio Losert (London, 2012) and table tennis player Zoran Primorac (Sydney 2000), while the first bearer of the Croatian flag was tennis player Goran Ivanišević in Barcelona in 1992.
Bearers of the Croatian flag at the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony are:
- 2016, Rio de Janeiro - Josip Pavić (Water Polo)
- 2012, London - Venio Losert (Handball)
- 2008, Beijing - Ivano Balić (Handball)
- 2004, Athens - Dubravko Šimenc (Water Polo)
- 2000, Sydney - Zoran Primorac (Table Tennis)
- 1996, Atlanta - Perica Bukić (Water Polo)
- 1992, Barcelona - Goran Ivanišević (Tennis)